Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Creativity with Playing Cards

I do not like the subject of this piece. After seeing what others in my not-class did, I feel really unoriginal in that all I did was cut up the cards into a sort of interesting composition and then draw them. I feel like I should have been able to do something more creative with this assignment, but playing cards... are just playing cards, to me. I have trouble seeing them as anything else. Anyway, this is done with sharpie(red and black) and highlighter(yellow). I felt only markers would be able to provide the shockingly bold and bright colors I desired for this piece. I struggled a lot with the perspective and details of the cards, as I am bad at both. My eyes are either too close together or too far apart, because when I stared at the cards to draw them, I saw two images barely overlapping instead of the one, 3-D image. I probably need glasses. Ugh. I stippled some shading on this after I drew the cards, and I think it gives it a nice look. Though I don't like the subject of this drawing, I do like the results... it looks pretty, if nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. YOu have a particularly deep case of self-beating artist complex. I think this piece more intersting and original than you may believe, even if it doesn't have an underlying story. You want to know a secret? Almost everyone in the class made up a backstory after creating their pieces. You comitted details very well, and the stipling was an inspired touch (notice you're the only one who did that for shadows).
    But yes, you may want glasses.

    ReplyDelete