Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sketchbook Hands: Soft, Sharp, and Unexpected.

 Each of these is a simple drawing of my hand holding an object. I tried to do different positioning of my hand and changing the way my hand was holding the objects to get very different looking images. I drew all of them with average writing pencils at first, then went over them with another medium that I felt would compliment the texture of the object being held.
  • The one with the draw-string bag in the upper left is done over in drawing pencil. While I think the proportions on the thumb are extremely off, and the arm looks odd but I can't quite figure out why that is, I like this one the best. I think it does look soft, as it was meant to, and I love how the bag looks like a bag.
  • The picture on the bottom with the arrowhead was a pain to draw, literally. The point on that thing was really sharp, making it a perfect choice for this particular drawing. I chose to use sharpie as my final medium to give it a stark contrast that would accent the sharp-ness. I don't like the angle of the hand in this one and I think I should have just done the same kind of darkened border as I did with the other two drawings. I also don't like how chubby and segmented I made my fingers look by doing the creases too darkly. I do think the fingers look very much like fingers and the arrowhead looks like obsidian, however, so I don't think this drawing was a complete failure.
  • The picture in the top right is of (my hand and) a necklace I have. The necklace "chain" is some sort of rubber rope, which is why it is stiff and sticks out from my hand like that. The cat charm on it is turned around so that you see its back. I thought this might fit the unexpected theme because you always expect to see the front of things. I used a black colored pencil to finish this. Though I was a little rushed with this drawing, I rather like how it turned out. I had to redraw my hand several times before I felt like I had gotten the proportions right. I do wish that I had pulled my sleeve up a little bit, because the space in the border where my arm leaves the paper feels wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment